Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 24 of ALAA, Mon, June 6th, 2011-From St. Ignace to Flint, MI

 The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island
 The Ferry From St. Ignace to Mackinac Island (Yes, the water of Lake Huron is very blue!)

 Main Main Street on Mackinac

 The The Post Office on Mackinac


  Fort Mackinac by a Cab Stand

 
This entire island looks like a postcard!

 
Mackinac Main Street

This hasn't been a good day because of the memories. Yesterday was my Dad's birthday and today is Ryan's. He would have loved this trip and Mackinac Island today. Mackinac Island is magnificent! Camping just South of Flint, MI tonight. The pic above is the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island-famous in the Somewhere in Time movie. Contrary to Richard Collier (played by Christopher-Superman-Reeves) driving his car to the Grand Hotel, the island does not allow motorized vehicles! The pics above are the trip to and the scenes around Mackinac. You'll see that there are no motorized vehicles so everyone either takes bicycles or horse-drawn carriages.


The place proably stays so beautiful because the whole island is a state park. I understand that it has about 400 year-round residents but the population swells to around 1500 when all the college students come to work there during the summer to provide services for the summer tourists. I talked to a local and he told me that the snow in the winter pretty much keeps them on the island almost all the time. He said Lake Huron freezes over in the winter so they use snowmobiles on the lake to to go to St. Ignace on the mainland for supplies. Mackinac Island is a place where my Bride and I are going to have to come visit again!


You can imagine what I thought when I saw the sign below! Actually, pasties are a type of stew put into a dough shell . . . . . . and pronounced past-ies, not paste-ies. Thank goodness for that- I would hate to think of Bessie selling paste-ies!

Pronounced PAST-IES but I was sure fooled!

1 comment: