Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 22 of ALAA, Sat, June 4th, 2011-From Brainerd, MN to Marion Lake, MI

This was a weird place because Marion Lake, MI is in a National Forest and I expected to see a lot of people camping here. There were two weird things about this place. First is that it is 5-6 miles off the highway on a remote gravel road. That 5-6 miles of gravel road was totally deserted. Nothing, no houses, no businesses, NOTHING! Think Deliverance! Now, if you don't know this, motorcycles don't do well in gravel because of the traction. The second weird thing is that I saw only ONE OTHER VEHICLE IN THE CAMPGROUND! A white pickup drove down the road while I was setting up the tent and getting organized but that's the only sign of mankind I saw! None of the other campsites were occupied and I started to worry that it was closed.

The registration was with an Iron Ranger-put your money in an envelope and drop it in the metal box. I was starting to worry that I was in Deliverance but it was just quiet. The campground is built around a beautiful lake and I don't think I heard a manmade noise, except for that one pickup, the whole time I was there. I sat on the shore of the lake, watched the sun set, ate my Cheetos and got in the sack. It was kinda creepy but I guess just another part of the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment