Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 27 of ALAA-Thurs, June 9th, 2011-From Rochester to Grafton, NY

Well, my plan this morning was to get on I-90, the NY Thruway, and barrel East. That didn't work because being buffeted by cars and trucks going 70-80 mph flat out ain't much fun! I exited and rode the rest of the way to Cooperstown on Hiway 20, a much calmer and slower road that goes through the villages along the way.


Another coincidence popped up today. I was buying some postcard stamps at the Post Office in Waterloo, NY and the lady who works there has a daughter that went to Oklahoma Christian and now lives in Yukon, OK! Strange how those things just keep happening-first it was the Redelsbergers in Bodega Bay, CA and now this.


I spent most of the afternoon at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. Definitely worth the stop! The downtown area of Cooperstown is virtually all baseball-themed junque joints selling all manner of  baseball trinkets and trash. I guess they understand target maketing, huh?


I'm camping right on the border of NY, MA, and VT. A guy at a Burger King in Troy, NY, near Albany, told me about a wonderful campground at Grafton Lakes State Park. Well, I rode out to the state park and not only does it NOT have any camping but the entire state park is closed from dusk to dawn! Maybe that guy at he BK WAS smokin' funny smelling' cigarettes! Soooooo, it was boondocking again. There are no campgrounds near here BUT I did find an elementary school in Grafton with woods behind it so home for the night it was!


I should make it easily to Maine tomorrow. Tomorrow I will leave NY for VT but I'll be back in NY in a few days headed South down the Atlantic coast through the dreaded New York City. New Hampshire is similar because it also borders Canada and the Atlantic. Sometime I'll have to count the number of state border crossings on this trip. If I remember right, it's 31-32 states with 34-35 state border crossings.

No comments:

Post a Comment