Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 30 of ALAA-Sun, June 12th, 2011-From Portland, ME to Pocasset, MA

The New Hampshire State Capitol in the relatively small town of Concord  
It was cold and overcast on Sunday but the rain stopped in the afternoon. I went through New Hampshire AGAIN, sped through Boston (actually UNDER downtown!), and went out, as Radar put it in one of the MASH episodes, out to the Cape of Cod. Provincetown, or P-Town, as they put it, is kind of a wannabe Carmel. It wants to be as exclusive (and expensive!) as Carmel but can't quite pull it off. The cheapest lodging on the Cape was $75-100 for roach motels and $35 for campgrounds so it was boondocking again. In Pocasset, there is a medium sized industrial facility that has a huge "For Sale or Lease" sign in front of it and looks vacant. Grass and weeds were growing up on the parking lots and loading dock so I naturally thought VACANT! I said LOOKS vacant because cars starting arriving at the front of the building around 5:00 AM! I wet my pants and sucked my thumb! Well, not really but I hustled my bootie out of there ASAP!


Below is a satellite photo of the industrial facility I THOUGHT was empty. The lighter color U shaped driveway and parking lot at the top of the pic is where cars started arriving and scared the willies out of me. You can see a very small storage building near the large trucking parking and backing lot on the upper right of the pic. On this pic, my tent was pitched between the small storage building and the trees. There was a perfect view of my tent from that front parking lot! It was about 5:30 AM (Near dawn!) by the time that I broke camp and got everything loaded on the bike. When I rode away there were two people standing at a door watching me ride out of their parking lot. This door faces the back truck parking lot of the facility and you can see the walkway from the truck parking lot to the back entrance to the building. I thought, okay, I'm going to get 2-3 miles down the road and stopped by the Pocasset, MA police. But, fortunately, these two people apparently DIDN'T call the police because I just kept going on my merry way toward RI!


This is an Aerial Photo of the Industrial Facility where I Bookdocked in Pocasset, MA (I camped next to the small storage building in the upper right corner of the picture. You can see how the tent was visible from the front parking lot)
Breakfast is in Wareham which, of course, is next to Buzzard's Bay, MA. I'm headed West toward Newport, RI, into Conn., and then I'll stop and plan my strategy for NYC. I KNOW I'm not going into Manhattan but I would like to see Long Island and finish the boroughs with Staten Island before reaching NJ. I've never been out on Long Island so I'd like to ride out to its East end. It will depend on the weather and traffic so we'll see.
It's cloudy today but no rain is forecast above Long Island Sound so maybe I'll get lucky with the weather. I've been lucky in love (two more months to 40 years!) because she's put up with me all this time! I'll fill you in later on Newport!

No comments:

Post a Comment