Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 34 of ALAA-Thurs, June 16th, 2011-From Moorhead City, NC to Charleston, SC

Campsite at the KOA in Charleston, SC
This has been a relatively nice, relaxing day. I slept late at the no-tell motel in Moorhead City, NC and had a leisurely ride down into Charleston. This KOA has a nice lake on the property, and doesn't have the US attacking Maryland next door like the KOA in Virginia Beach. I spent a couple of hours late this afternoon and early evening exploring Charleston. I expected more-Charleston has a nice historical district (with Ft Sumpter out in the bay) but it doesn't compare to other cities with historically accurate architecture. It seems that the city leaders could do more to promote it if they designated just a portion of the old town as having historical significance. Oh well, there I am trying to do a better job of marketing Charleston, SC to the world!


Tomorrow is my day to leave the new state (for me) of South Carolina and judge the historical interest of Savannah, GA. Maybe I've become something of a tourist snob for judging the historical and architectural interest of touristy cities but Mackinac Island, MI is in a league of it's own with Newport, RI a close second.

By the way, a lady at a tourist info stop this morning actually had a good idea for me: avoid the coastal road around Myrtle Beach because of the traffic. This tourist stop lady when I was up in Maine gave me a one word answer to my question about the Maine Thruway and then looked at me like I had two heads when I told her I didn't know where Weston, ME was! You'd think people that work in tourists info centers would be prepared to help folks . . . but not in Maine!

No comments:

Post a Comment