Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 38 of ALAA-Mon, June 20th, 2011-From Panama City Beach, FL to Mobile, AL

Two questions have repeatedly occurred to me during this trip: First, why am I doing this, and, second, how many states will I total on this trip? Well, the idea for this little TH came to me 4-5 years ago from Sam Chandler in Gresham, OR. Sam had gotten his engineering degree from Portland State and his parents, Mike and Sharon :-( had a reception for him at their home. I asked Sam about jobs, etc and Sam said he had a job lined up to start in three weeks and, of course, I asked him why three weeks? Sam explained that he was planning a trip around America-East from OR to Maine, down the East Coast to FL, West to CA, and you know the drill. Sam's idea has been growing in my pea-brain since then. Sam drove his pickup but I added the wrinkle of a motorcycle to his crazy trip.


Okay, how many states? Anybody can count these by looking at a map of the US and seeing how many states touch our borders and coasts. Anyway, I'll bore you with them so here we go: TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, ND, MN, WI-1, MI-1, WI-2, MI-2, OH, PA, NY-1, VT, NH-1, ME, NH-2, MA, RI, CT, NY-2, NJ, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, FL, AL, and soon the remaining MS, LA, and back to TX! That's a pretty long list that totals 31 states not counting four states twice! The 1's and 2's following WI, MI, NH and NY are there because I either went in and out of them or because NH and NY touch both the Canadian border and the Atlantic coast. So I went through different parts of NH and NY twice! The other twices (!) are WI, MI, and TX (book of duh, Chapter 1!)


This trip leaves me two states on my Bucket List: West Virginia and Alaska. It's likely that my Bride and I will take a cruise to Alaska at some point but West Virginia?

No comments:

Post a Comment