Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 29 of ALAA-Sat, June 11th, 2011-From Canaan to Portland, ME

Saturday was both a good day and a bad day at the same time. I had a nice ride from Canaan, ME through Bangor down to the coast and Acadi NP. Acadia is a pretty place and one unique to Southerners. It's an island that is very rocky coming up out of the Atlantic and then heavily forested from the rocky areas to the peaks on the island. Anyway, I spent a few hours riding around the park and Bar Harbor. South down Hiway 1 takes you through postcard look New England villages but the larger towns are still surrounded by mills that are now shut down and rusting-more economic decline replaced by tourism as the primary industry. Rained started in the afternoon and stayed with me all the way down to Portland, where I am now.


I had a pleasant surprise this morning-Ron Dixon (with his wife Harley and girlfriend Betty) called. They spent a lot more time in Wyoming, because they got snowed in, and SD so they are now in MN headed up to see the Mall of America. I suggested to Ron that they wear their walking shoes! It was good to catch up with them. From the MOA, they are headed down to Milwaukee for the Harley Davidson experience and then a ferry across Lake Michigan. I would have enjoyed riding that ferry across Lake Michigan with them but I went way up North of that lake. I rode for a while along the very Northern tip of Lake Michigan. Ron and Betty are good folks.


Today I'm heading South toward home on 1 through Boston, Rhode Island, and Conn toward NY. I probably won't make it that far but we'll see how far I get. Oh, I don't exactly know the word for the folks in Maine but words like stanoffish and unfriendly come to mind. I'm anxious to to reach the warmer weather and friendler people of the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment