Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 19 of ALAA-Wed, June 1st, 2011. Kalipspell to Malta, MT

Try to find Malta, MT on a map!
Boondocking but legal this time! I woke up this morning high in the Rockies in Kalispell, Montana and I'm about to go sleep on the great plains of Malta, MT. Along the way I've learned several things: First, Glacier National Park isn't just Glacier National Park-it's part of Waterton-Glacier Interational Peace Park. Isn't it nice when we work and play well together with our Canadian neighbors?


Second, The Road to the Sun in GNP is about the absolutely perfect motorcycle road. I could only take it up to Avalanche (appropriately named!) because the road higher up is still snowed in. Anyway, it's maybe the most beautiful 18 miles from Apgar Village-winding roads that follow McDonald lake and River, and it's all capped by snow covered, glaciated peaks-Spectacular!


Third, I need a new set of tires-now, it's not like I can just stop at any local tire store and have them put on a new set. Noooooo, it can't be anywhere near that simple! I met a fella about my age riding a BMW from Olympia, WA to Maine and we rode together for a while but . . . . . . he rides 5-10 mph above the speed limit. I wasn't very comfortable with that so we went our separate ways. Earlier, I mentioned to him that I'm gonna need a new set of tires in another thousand miles or so. Later at a gas stop, he asked me to look at my rear tire and the results weren't pretty. It seems that I'm a complete and total idiot-the bikes I've had have always had both tires wear out about the same time-then it hit me. Book of Duh Chapter One-the rear tire is going to wear a lot faster when the bike is loaded like the Joad's truck going to California in Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath! So, I found a Honda MC dealer in Glasgow, MT that has the rear tire and can install it IF I'm there by 9:00 AM manana. The front tire has a few more miles in it so I start looking for a motorcycle dealer with that tire in MN or so.

Boondocking? I went to the Sheriff's Office and they sent me to the the Malta City Park! Great folks in Montana!  Bad roads but good folks!

1 comment:

  1. My first trip to Montana in 2001 resulted in a catastrophic tire failure. Coming out of a diner in St. Regis, I noticed an old man staring at my loaded wheelbarrow. He pointed out the worn rear tire. I remember how amazed I was that it had worn so quickly. I called ahead to the Honda shop in Kalispell and decided to chance the trip. Less than an hour later I was being loaded into an ambulance. I cannot remember precisely, I think that was my second head injury.

    ReplyDelete