Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 36 of ALAA-Sat, June 18th, 2011-From Savannah, GA to Starke, FL

Florida does the coastal highways better than about any state except the cereal state. I rode Hiway A1A from the FL state line to San Augustine and it follows the beach! There was another ferry ride on A1A and I'm hoping it will be the last one. Now, San Augustine is a city worth visiting again. SA claims to be America's oldest city founded in the 1560's. I spent one night in St Ignace, MI which claims to be the third oldest city founded in the 1590's. So what is our second oldest city? Somehow I have Santa Fe, NM in my old and tired mind. Is that right? Yo no se!


Anyway, San Augustine is home to Flagler College-I've watched their SIFE Team over the years and I remember the first time I heard their presentation. Their SIFE team then had a $350K budget! Yes, I mean 350 thousand dollars! They explained that they offer tours of their campus to tourists and operate a gift shop as well. It's understandable because their Administration building was Henry Flagler's home and he was the guy responsible for the Overseas Highway down the Keys to Key West. Yes, it is a mansion of Newport, RI-epic proportions!


I'm near Gainesville headed for 98 across FL's Panhandle toward Alabama, Miss, Louisiana, and HOME to Texas. This has been a long trip and I'm already planning a summary once I get home. It should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment