Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 8 of ALAA-Sat, May 21st, 2011. San Clemente to Malibu, CA

Today was mainly following the Pacific Coast Highway from the South suburbs of LA (San Clemente) to the North (West?) suburbs of LA (Malibu). Even though I only went about 125 miles today, I'm going to blame it on LA! There was a LOT of traffic (what a shock!) but it still was a nice day riding. I ran into a nice couple, Ron and Betty Dixon, from Naples, FL that are following roughly the same route I am around the US. We rode together for a couple of hours, introduced them to In 'n Out Burgers on Wilshire Blvd. in LA (the picture of them is above), and will try to hook up again as we head North toward Washington.

Tonight I'm camping at Malibu Creek State Park about 10 miles above Pepperdine U. I chose this state park because this used to be owned by Fox TV studios when it was called Fox Ranch. The reason I chose this state park is because the outdoor scenes in the MASH TV series were filmed here. Okay, I have a confession to make (as if you didn't know this already): I'm a 100% MASHophile! There, I said it and I guess I'll get in a 12 step program to recover from it :-) It was a 2.3 mile hike to back in the woods to the site (and the same out!) but was worth it. Had a nice long conversation with the love of my life-we haven't been able to talk as much as I'd like because the phone is off when on the road to preserve the battery and the two hour time difference. I miss her terribly and can't wait to get home so we can celebrate our 40 years of marital bliss in MAUI! More of the real Pacific Coast Highway tomorrow-the PCH is nice from San Diego through LA but the best is yet to come-BIG SUR!!

1 comment: