Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 5a of ALAA-Wed, May 18th, 2011

Everyday brings some excitement when you're on the road. Sometimes it's good excitement and sometimes it's bad excitement- today it was BAD! I stayed in a Motel6 in El Paso and paid for it with a debit card. Right after that, charges totaling $60 to the local gas utility company appeared on our account. I immediately cancelled the card but how did someone get the number? I scanned the card, put it immediately back in my wallet, and the receipt they gave me only shows the last four digits. Most of you reading this are smarter than I am so someone please explain how some miscreant got the number! Thank the Bride for catching it and doing most of the research into it! Is it called skimming when crooks get your account information by recording your credit/debit card data when you use it?

1 comment: