Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 1 of ALAA-Sat, June 14th, 2011. Home to Corpus Christi, TX


My campsite at Mustang Island State Park-the Gulf is just to the right
The first day was spent going from home to Galveston Island and then down the coast about 250 miles to Corpus Christi. This 300 miles today is pretty much in line with my plan of "A tank of gas in the morning and a tank of gas after lunch." Each tank is about 150 miles so I'm shooting for around 300 miles per day for the rest of the trip.


I'm spending the night at Mustang Island State Park. Mustang Island is my third island today. First was Galveston Island, then Mustang Island, then North Padre Island for dinner, and then back to Mustang Island. The campground here is literally right on the beach! My tent is set up about a hundred feet from the water-the waves are about 3-4 feet and should be a good sleeping pill.


The only really notable thing about today was that I finally got to see a feral hog. It was on the side of the road, apparently hit by a car. Mean lookin' sucker though! Tomorrow takes me through Corpus Christi, the King Ranch, to South Padre Island, and toward Laredo, Big Bend, El Paso, Yuma, and San Diego along the Mexican border. A lot more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment