Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 2 of ALAA-Sun, May 15th, 2011. Corpus Christi to Laredo, TX

Well, it was an interesting day but not really notable in any way. Today took me about 300 miles from Mustang Island near Corpus Christi to the Rio Grande Valley and them up the border to Laredo. I've been on three islands in the first two days; Galveston, Mustang, and Padre but I don't think I'm going to see any more islands for a week or so! The morning was along the Gulf of Mexico coast to the US/Mexico border-wet in the morning and dry in the afternoon. The trip along the US border with Mexico began in Harlingen, TX and this section of the Texas-Mexico border is fairly poor. All this afternoon I followed the border so you can imagine that I'm in an area populated primarily by Hispanics.
One surprising thing has been the number of Border Patrol agents I've seen-probably 25 so far. I guess they are looking for illegals crossing the border. I'm in Lake Casa Blanca State Park in Laredo and it's nearly deserted. One very good thing a bout this state park is that I can put the tent right next to the plug in electrical connection. That means that I can charge my phone and flashlight while I sleep.

It sprinkled a little on me today but that just kept it comfortable. Tomorrow I'm shooting for Marathon, TX. It's near the North entrance of Big Ben National Park. More of this ever-boring drule tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment