Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 13 of ALAA-Thurs, May 26th, 2011. Garberville, CA to Port Orford, OR

Ron and Betty See Beautiful (WET!) Oregon for the First Time


The KOA Kamping Kabin near Port Orford, OR


It's been an interesting day seeing some of the most magnificent scenery in the U. S. The Northern CA coast is, in many ways, more beautiful than any of the CA coast except Big Sur-NOTHING, even Lake Tahoe, matches the rugged beauty of Big Sur! The only words to describe the natural beauty of Big Sur is "utterly magnificent!" The Northern CA coast also includes the Avenue of the Giants, Redwoods National Park, and the experience of feeling minute compared to these 2,000 year old giants. It's not perfect being on the road in such beauty because it has rained, drizzled, or otherwise been wet all day.

Today has included travels from Gardnerville, CA 250 miles to about 10 miles North of Port Orford, OR. Here is a picture of Ron and Betty in the rain as we entered OR and a KOA Kamping Kabin which is a new one for me. Setting up a tent and sleeping in it in this rain just didn't fit in with my thinking today. I stopped at a No-tell Motel in Port Orford and asked about a room (there were NO cars in front of any of the rooms!) I thought I could get a Roach Motel price of about $30. The lady told me the rate was $60. I politely asked if she was kidding and she said (Get this!) "Summer Rate." I said it's 45 degrees out there and raining cats and dogs-this is the summer rate? She repeated "Summer Rate" and that's why I'm in a KOA Kamping Kabin tonight!

Today also saw me get a new iPhone to replace my month-old iPhone. My riding friends, Ron and his wife Harley (and his girlfriend Betty!) stopped in Brookings to get some rest. The three of us are going as far North along the coast to Tillamook (for GUESS WHAT?) and then they are heading inland. I'm going into Portland hopefully tomorrow and they are going toward Seattle. Tomorrow? NO RAIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment