Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 17 of ALAA-Mon, May 30th, 2011 (Memorial Day). Port Angeles to Republic, WA

Today has seen me ride through forests, over mountain ranges, look down on clouds, and see snow packed on the side of the road higher than I am tall! The morning from Port Angeles took me to Port Townsend to catch the ferry out to the San Juan Islands. The islands are placid and tranquil. Cold on Memorial Day but still very beautiful!


I got back to the mainland and something has been bothering me since then-why does Burlington, WA trigger something in my tired old brain? Is that the town where Darren Williamson grew up? If anybody knows, please let me know because it's bothering me. Rode up the Skagit Valley next to the river and crossed the Cascades. All the snow I saw at first was on the mountaintops but I kept seeing more and more as I went higher. The pass is only about 4600 feet elevation but the snow was deep on the sides of the road. Tomorrow it's more East to Idaho and THEN I'll tell you where I'm camped tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment