Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 14 of ALAA-Fri, May 27, 2011. Port Orford to Portland, OR

Heceta Head Lighthouse, OR
Here is the beautiful Heceta Head Lighthouse near Florence, OR. I read that it's one of the most photographed lighthouses in the U. S. Somehow I'm NOT surprised! This is a picture I took with my phone from a little pullout along the side of Hiway 1. It's easy to take beautiful pictures, even when you have no photographic skill, when you have scenery like this! We went on a Family Mission Trip about 8-9 years ago to Florence, OR and went out to visit this lighthouse. The former lighthouse keeper's house, not visible in this pic, is to the right of the lighthouse and is now a B&B.


This has been the first day of multiple posts. Why? I don't know-it's just that things pop into my (weak, tired and old!) mind at different times. Today has seen me ride, or swim, a little over 300 miles from the KOA between Port Ordford and Bandon to a suburb of Portland, OR.


I'm spending two nights with a former student and her husband. She is a wonderful young lady that I've been privileged to know since 1999. She was a freshman student and I was a new faculty member at a small Christian college in Portland. She was the glue that kept our SIFE Team on track for those first three successful years. She met her future husband a few years out of college and they make a perfect couple! Being around them makes me miss my Bride even more than usual. It was especially tough today because I rode North up the Oregon coast where we spent so many weekends and weeks and so many wonderful memories-seeing the New Carissa near Coos Bay, riding 4X4's at the dunes with our Son, the Family Mission Trip in Florence, hiking at Cape Perpetual and Cape Lookout, eating at the original Mo's in Newport, staying at B and B's in Walsport and Pacific City, shopping at the Outlet stores in Lincoln City, renting those small houses in Gleneden Beach, and our favorite-the Ester Lee cottages in Lincoln City. Yes, the beautiful Oregon coast brings back a lot of pleasant memories!


Tomorrow will take me across Portland to the home my Bride and I still own there. Ask me sometime in person why I'm going there. I'll tell you in person but not here!

1 comment:

  1. Griff,

    Are you in town? Would love to see you. I am enjoying your blogs about your adventure.

    Tell Diana hello from us.

    Shew

    ReplyDelete