Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 7 of ALAA-Fri, May 20th, 2011. Yuma, AZ to San Clemente, CA

FINALLY Reached San Diego!
Here is a picture of the desert I left with "The Wall" dividing the U. S. and Mexico in the background. Every quarter mile or so, there are these flags sticking up out of the sand with a bucket of water below them. I guess we're humane enough to provide water for those illegals crossing into the U. S. The other picture is the beach in San Diego. Yes, there is a LITTLE contrast between these two pictures!

Well, it has been an interesting 250 mile day! It was a shame to have to leave lush, green, and beautiful Yuma and ride to desolate, brown, and dirty San Diego :-). I actually have PROOF that California is the cereal state-full of fruits, nuts, and flakes. Anyway, I was at a Chevron station in Campo, CA that stocks crickets and larvae-the crickets, of course, were sour cream and onion flavored and the larvae, of course, were jalapeño flavored. Only in CA!

I've decided that La Jolla is the quintessential beach town-beautiful, eclectic, and expensive! I'm in a state park near San Clemente. The campsite I'm in tonight looks out over the Pacific so I'm expecting the waves to put me to sleep. This state park is about halfway between SD and LA so tomorrow afternoon will be spent at Malibu Creek State Park. It used to be the Fox Ranch where the outdoor scenes for the MASH TV series was filmed. I'm going to hike to where the set was located. More about that mañana. Considering that today is my seventh day on the road, it's taken me a week to reach San Diego! Now the Pacific Coast Highway or Highway 1 for the next, oh, 14 to 16 hundred miles!

1 comment:

  1. Griff jokes got to love them. So happy you are taking this trip Griff Dog!

    ReplyDelete